Saturday 16 November 2013

Catching the drifters

The drifters - they have been on my mind recently, especially in KS4.  You know the pupils I mean - the pupils who are in your peripheral vision rather than being firmly in your sights, like the obvious underachievers.  The pupils whose performance is a little lower than expectation, but doesn't stand out. I have come to the conclusion that I need to re-think my approach, so that I don't have to spend yet another month chasing after pupils who have drifted too far.

When I think of the pupils who fall into this category, there are often 2 underlying problems: either they have had their confidence dented, and have decided to take their foot off the pedal, or they have lost some of their motivation.  I have had several pupils with whom I have had conversations recently, and I've come away thinking that I had known that it wasn't quite right, but I had only done "surface" things, such as making them re-do a homework.  Missed opportunities.

Having just had our first assessment window, I'm currently feeding back to classes, and as well as picking out the underachievers, I need to do something to help the drifters.  The current vogue for "intervention" means that it's tempting to write down on the departmental action plan that X number of support sessions have been put in place for these pupils.  However, there are still only a finite number of hours in the day, and the last time I checked, this hadn't changed. So - what to do?

I already have "Catch Up Thursday" (snappy title, I think) for those who have been absent or whose homework / classwork wasn't up to scratch.  This does work, and needs to stay.

Thinking of those recent conversations, I don't think extra sessions is what is needed.  In fact, one particular pupil has already proved this.  He came to extra sessions targeted at his weaknesses - no impact.  I decided that it was his focus in lesson, and his strategic use of resources / classwork when completing homework which needed to change.  This pupil wasn't disruptive, he just wasn't making the most of lessons or homework. I talked to him about the impact his lack of focus had, and I set him some goals, and he has improved.  No extra sessions required.

Listening to the pupil
Find out if there is something that they're struggling with or that has dented their confidence. If so, that can be addressed, perhaps as part of a "closing the gap" lesson, as there will be others who would welcome the practice of a certain topic. Taking the time to speak to the pupil, finding out how they "tick" can be the key.  It can be all that is needed to help them realise what they need to know, or to realise that they aren't invisible, and that they matter.

Re-set their expectations, and set goals for classwork and homework
I have made a sheet to help structure their thoughts about what success would look like for them, and to help me discuss with them how to set their sights higher.
They are then going to have 3 goals to meet each lesson for the next 3 weeks - I'm calling it the Challenge Programme (cheesy, I know, but I couldn't come up with anything else)
New seating plans after the results should allow me to place with more highly-motivated pupils, who can also give discreet help where necessary, and show them how to work.  Reward postcard home if they improve their goals.  If there is no improvement, then we'll have to contact home, and put something more structured in place.

Teach lessons, keep expectations high. That's it. No extra sessions.

This isn't intended for the hard-core disaffected.  This is for the pupils who need a bit more direction and focus.  I will see whether this works, and blog about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment